Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Got Milk?

Ok, so I understand the importance of breastfeeding. Really I do. I did it with my first child for 11 1/2 months (and apparently that's pretty impressive in the laleche world). But, seriously...is this milk production really necessary? Sheesh!

Today was my second trip to a friends home with my milk to store for little Haysley and I'll admit, I was really tired of it. We're averaging 10-12 minutes per Gerber Good Start bottles, and right now I'm convinced I've filled atleast 1,000. Ok, not 1,000, but it sure as heck is alot. Even the nurses are impressed when I pump at the hospital, and I figure it takes more than a milestone to impress them anymore.

But I learned something very valuable today that changed my entire perspective of pumping. The friend I dropped off the milk to explained that when she was pumping for her twins (hence the extra freezer space), within 3 months she had pumped enough to feed them for 11 months, and, get this, she got to stop pumping at 3 months. One, that's awesome. Two, I never thought about the fact that since Haysley is so small that she might actually like the bottle alot better than me...SO, if I've got all this storage, she will still get the benefit of breastmilk, just without the breast. And, I think I'm ok with that.

Interesting...now, all that being said, I've got to go pump.

No comments:

Post a Comment